My Blog List

Thursday, May 9, 2013

Children of the World


Another day, another "waif" in Guatemala. I was traveling down this dusty, dirty, pot hole littered road at about 3 MPH. We had just left Chichicastenago on our way to hike in Tikal National Park, one of the largest Mayan ruins in Central America (but that's another story).

All of a sudden all traffic stopped, seems there was a bit of a land slide in front of us (OK, in truth the entire hill side had come down). Our bus stopped (of course) and we all piled out (what else could you do on a dirty, dusty road somewhere in the back country of Guatemala?)

Most of the Turista's were watching the road being cleared by locals. While the locals who were delayed by this display of Mother Natures total lack of consideration for us were sitting around smoking, drinking or having their lunch at the road side. Only the Tourista's were a bit frustrated, the locals simply accept this type delay as a normal occurance and a time for a siesta.

I've always believed there's a picture just around the bend so I grabbed my handy Nikon and took a stroll (it appeared we'd be stuck for an hour or two anyway). Walla, this little "waif" comes strolling down the highway with her little brother on her back. Although I speak very little Spanish and she spoke no English, we both smiled and I pointed to my camera and at her. With a nod of her head she seemed to be saying OK, so I snapped several frames before she smiled once again and continued her stroll down the highway.

About an hour later we were on our way, the road crew having leveled an area just barely wide enough to allow passage without tumbling down the hillside. I've always wondered where the little girl lived, where she was going and where she had come from. She was probably Mayan, her family were probably farm hands. I'll never know however she will always come to mind when I reminisce about my trip to Guatemala.

No comments:

Post a Comment